Friday, March 10, 2006

Lumière

It can get pretty dark on a third floor Parisian apartment. In the depths of winter, I have to keep the light on in the living room, even during the day. The bedroom, which faces la cour, the courtyard, gets no light whatsoever. Which is why Eddie very smartly insisted that, instead of painting the bedroom a funky deep shade which I suggested, we should paint the walls a white shade that has the slightest hint of yellow, point de jaune is what is written on the paint tub. How very very right he was. It makes a big difference on a January afternoon, where a darker shade would have turned the room into a rock cave.

During the winter, the sun is too low to shine in the living room, as it is blocked by the buildings across the street. But during the spring and summer months, there is a spot on our couch where, at a certain time in the late afternoon, if you are sitting in that particular spot, the sun will be at such a level that it will shine right on you. Today, the sun has been peeking out between little patches of rain showers, but just now, at 17h46, for the first time in months the sun shone brilliantly through the window, so much it blinded me and I couldn't see the computer screen in front of me. It lasted just a few minutes but I think that means Winter is drawing to a close.

Which gets me thinking about spring plans, and even a bit of summer. Most importantly, what should I wear this year once the doudoune comes off. I wonder if those long flowing skirts will be in fashion again this year.

Plans for spring:
1. Dust off the roller blades, and think about finally learning to brake this year.
2. Or, just break down and buy some classic roller skates, I was good at roller skating when I was a kid, I bet it sticks with you.
3. Oh, maybe I'll just get a bicycle instead.
4.Start laying off the pain au chocolats, in preparation for beach trips.
5. Start going back to the pool twice a week, in preparation for said beach trips.
6.Get some plants for the jardiniere, including some cooking herbs: basil, dill, rosemary, coriander.

It's nice to daydream about warmer brighter days, even if I must not be too hasty in my shedding of the doudoune. As the old saying goes:

En avril, ne te découvre pas d'un fil
En mai, fais ce qu'il te plaît


(Rough translation: "In april, don't uncover a single thread. In may, do whatever you like")

(doudoune: down jacket)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home